The organisation known today as Open Family Australia was informally founded in Melbourne in 1978.
- In 1978 Father Bob Maguire and Brother Alex McDonald founded Open Family.
- In 1981 Open Family Foundation was established as a charitable organisation and an unincorporated association.
- On 6 March 1984 Open Family Foundation Incorporated was incorporated in Victoria.
- On 1 September 1992 Open Family (Australia) Incorporated was incorporated as an association in the ACT.
- On 2 December 1992 Open Family Foundation Incorporated changed its name to Open Family (Victoria) Incorporated.
- On 7 November 2005 Open Family (Australia) Incorporated became a Registered Australian Body with the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC).
- In December 2006, after 28 years of service, Father Bob Maguire retired from Open Family (Australia) to pursue his own Foundation.
- On 6 September 2007 Open Family Australia became registered as a public company limited by guarantee.
- On 1 December 2011 Open Family Australia merged with like-minded youth organisation Whitelion.